PAT+3 - Product Access Technology for Pléiades User Services (Phase 3)
Pléiades is a French Earth observation satellite program carried out in cooperation with Austria, Belgium, Italy, Spain and Sweden. Pléiades has also the status of a "GMES Contributing Mission". Two Pléiades satellites will be launched in 2011 and 2012 and will offer a spatial resolution at nadir of 0.7 m and a coverage capacity necessary for fine cartography needs, notably in urban regions.
The Pléiades product list includes Ortho Images and Ortho Mosaics, which due to their geographic map projections, can be integrated into Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
The current status of this development (spring 2010) is that EOX have completed the detailed design and performed the operational readiness review jointly with Spot Image. The available implementation has proven the technical feasibility of PAT+ and the envisaged online data access functions. EOX plans to use the PAT+ system for pre-launch operations starting in 3 rd quarter 2011.
PAT+ is uniquely designed in that it combines features for:
- Ingestion of TerraByte-volume ortho products
- Storage in a so-called Coverage Repository (i.e. generation and management of PAT products as aggregated geocoded grid coverages in multi-resolution image pyramids)
- Viewing on the Internet via Web browser providing optimum user experience
- Direct access delivery of PAT products to dedicated client or user application software systems; this includes functionality for back-tracing of product generation history based on meta data
- Identity-centric user access management for implementation of data policy
The PAT+ development enables EOX to continue a long-term international cooperation strategy with the developers of satellite Earth observation interoperability infrastructure and user service systems. The perspective of PAT+ fits into the European initiative for Heterogenous Mission Access and related space standardization efforts, which will be essential for the success of GMES.
EOX IT Services GmbH
Spot Image, S.A., France