Space - Youth - Future Generations
- United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA)
- Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC)
- Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs (BMEIA)
- Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology (BMK)
The Summit of the Future on 22-23 September 2024 aims to accelerate efforts to meet our existing international commitments and take concrete action to address new challenges and opportunities. An action-oriented outcome document, the Pact for the Future with a Declaration on Future Generations, will create an international system that is better prepared for the future challenges.
Strengthened and revitalised forms of cooperation and multilateral governance, enshrined in international law, can play a key role to restore trust and ensure the well-being of present and future generations. Therefore, in addressing today's challenges, it is essential to hear the voice of the youth and consider the long-term impact of our present decisions on future generations.
Space is a key driver for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and for the development, implementation and monitoring of solutions to the major challenges facing humanity, such as climate change.
Recognising the natural synergies between the peaceful uses of space, the meaningful engagement and involvement of the youth, and the need to think and act for future generations to achieve the SDGs, this event will discuss the critical steps we need to take to make the most of both the Pact for the Future and the Declaration on Future Generations, planned outcome documents of the UN Summit of the Future in September 2024. It will also address the question of how to ensure a peaceful, safe, and sustainable space environment that takes into account the needs of youth and keeps the interests of future generations in mind.
Time: 6 p.m. Vienna time (CET)
- Welcome Remarks
H.E. Gabriela Sellner, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Austria to the United Nations in Vienna
- Panel Discussion
- Ms. Aarti Holla-Holla-Maini, Director UN Office for Outer Space Affairs
- Ms. Uta Bohacek, Co-Facilitator of the Summit of the Future, Permanent Mission of the Federal Republic of Germany to the United Nations (online)
- Mr. Antonino Salmeri, Co-Chair of the Space Generation Advisory Council
- Ms. Jana Berchtold, UN Youth Delegate for Austria 2023-2025, Austrian National Youth Council
Moderator: Margit Mischkulnig, Head of Department, Space Affairs and Aviation Technologies, BMK
The event will be streamed and is open to all.
Austrian Federal Ministry for Climat Action, Environment,
Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology
Department III/6 - Space Affairs