HOLMES - GNSS based forest logistic management
The service incorporates the most advanced applications of satellite navigation, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in combination with wireless communication links. The added value chain developed within the project consists of four main parts:
- maintenance of forest specific local maps,
- data acquisition of storage places and stock,
- satellite-based guidance of vehicles to the storage places, and
- automatic order and delivery preparation.
The main task within the project was the development of a navigation system for data acquisition and guidance of vehicles primary based on Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) like GPS/GLONASS/EGNOS and the future GALILEO. In case of loss of the satellite signal dead reckoning and data of autonomous sensors bridge these outages even in topographically difficult locations.
The innovative advantages of the project are the reduced amount of mobile data, the less complicated documentation of the whole wood harvest process, and the visualisation and georeference of the added value supply chain so that an efficient disposal and guidance of trucks is enabled. Thereby the efficiency and accuracy are improved and the costs decrease.
TeleConsult Austria GmbH, Austria - Bernhard Hofmann-Wellenhof
- Österreichische Bundesforste AG - Günther Spatzenegger
- GISquadrat AG - Johann Jessenk
- HiTec, Vereinigung High Tech Marketing - Walter Aigner