University of Applied Sciences Wiener Neustadt
The University of Applied Sciences Wiener Neustadt GmbH (FHWN) is the largest university of applied sciences campus in Austria (3000 students). Major fields of studies include Aerospace Engineering, Microsystems technology, Bioengineering, Mechatronics etc.Together with its research subsidiary FOTEC Forschungs- und Technologietransfer GmbH (FOTEC), FHWN has conducted a large number of space-related research and development projects.
Technologies and competences
- Development of in-space propulsion systems in the low (5 mN) to ultra-low thrust (50 nN) range. FOTEC and FHWN are the worldwide unique producers of charge balance devices based on liquid metal ion sources (LMIS).
- Development of green propulsion systems, mono- as well as bipropellant, as an alternative to systems using hydrazine and hydrazine derivatives.
- R&D in metal additive layer manufacturing
- Thermal management for satellites
Products and services in space
- Development and test of green propulsion systems (green propellants)
- Development, manufacturing and characterization of FEEP-based thrusters and integrated propulsion systems.
- Engineering, manufacturing and test of charge balance devices (e.g. for the MMS mission)
- Satellite systems engineering (Nanosatellites)
Space related test benches, laboratories, etc.
- Electric propulsion laboratory: Three medium (about two cubic meters each) and one large (~14 cubic meters) vacuum chambers, environmental testing (thermal vacuum, vibration and shock), plasma diagnostic facilities, µN/mN thrust balances, etc.
- Chemical propulsion laboratory: thrust test stand, thrust balance (100 mN–10 N range), propellant characterisation facility, compatibility test facility
- Gas storage laboratory: test facilities for